Hello abode lovers and happy Wednesday! It's hump day ya'll! As I said Monday, since it's wedding month here at Abode Love-- all of you who already know the whole story behind my wedding... try to grin and bear it! I'll have abode things to talk about later this week, but for now, I'm going to gush unabashedly about my wedding day and all of the trials and tribulations that we faced up to that big day. Today, we're going to talk about the biggest trial of the entire wedding planning experience...yep, the time is here. It's time to give you the spill on my semi-couture wedding gown. I fell in love with this beautiful Kenneth Pool gown years ago when my older sister, Nene, was getting married. Every time we flipped through a magazine I would pull out this ad and tell her that THIS was my dream dress.
So, when I got engaged and it was time to think about dress shopping, my Super Mom and I did a little investigating and managed to get this Kenneth Pool gown marked down more than HALF off at a trunk show. I never tried on another dress. We snagged this beauty immediately. So, that should have been the end of the story, right? WRONG. Upon getting the dress shipped to us (yes, we're
insane have a lot of blind faith, we purchased the dress sight unseen....) I tried on the gown and everything was perfect. We had checked all of the measurements prior to the purchase and everything was to fit perfectly, and it did..... for the most part. The ONE measurement we didn't get right was the LENGTH. That's right, everyone gasp... my freaking wedding dress was too short. (I'm 5'5 people.... nothing is too short for me, ever.)
So what did we do next? Well, luckily my Super Mom is amazing, at everything, and is pretty much capable of doing anything, and doing it well. So, I told her some things about the dress that I wished were different (aside from the fact that we had to lengthen the dress somehow)... she did the same. Before we knew it, we had redesigned the entire dress. (Not to the surprise of anyone who knows us well...) We would take a
perfectly almost perfect beautiful Kenneth Pool gown and change it. A lot.
Here is what my Super Mom and I were doing for MONTHS. And yes... the dress was on the floor most of the time... and yes... I laid on top of it.... and yes, Lady, my cocker spaniel is wearing a tulle bow (in the spirit of the McWedding of course!). This first image really sums up the months before the wedding....
Before, the dress had about 15 rhinestone buttons on the back of the dress.... My Super Mom's brilliant idea was to add white satin covered buttons ALL the way down the back. I loved the traditional feel that this touch gave my dress! We also added the pleated tule all the way around to the back of the dress. I really loved the frothy edge that it gives the dress in the front.... so we decided to wrap this gorgeous detail around to the back of the dress.
My Super Mom and I... I know she is staring down at that gown and SO thankful that it was DONE!
(fast-forward to the reception to see the bustle)-- I loved it this way as much as I did when it was unbustled! Also... thanks to Mister Husband, I kept my vail on the entire night! He said I wouldn't look like a bride anymore if I took it off... good call Mister, good call.
Before, the top was barely considered a sweetheart.... I wanted something with a little more shape- not so "straight across" my frame looks much more feminine with a little heart shaped dip at the bust. So, Super Mom made the change and then we had to take the beaded layer OFF... and add LOTS of little crystals and added pearls (which were not currently on the dress anywhere) to make the beading match the new shape of the dress. I was thrilled with the change!
Here is the front of the dress... don't get me wrong, it is beautiful, but as I mentioned before... we were in need of some serious extra length in the front.... and I wanted a little "bedazzlage" on the front as well! We took one of the pleated tulle layers from the back of the dress and tacked it to the front of the dress-- we then added GOBBS of beading and rhinestones to match the designs that were already used on the dress. This was quite a feat I tell you... quite a feat.
This entire portion of the dress was added on and beaded by Super Mom and myself... The hours that went into this gown are endless....
So, that's the story behind the dress! I wish I had more/better before photos- but to be honest, I think the entire process was so stressful that I honestly don't think we wanted to take any chances in showing our progress... I think both of us were a little fearful at times that we would end up destroying this gown along the way! ha!
I hope that all of you abode lovers have a great Wednesday, I promise, we'll talk abodes later this week!